Thursday, June 26, 2014

Zion National Park

It was Sunday evening when we arrived in St George, Nevada at the Worldmark Resort.  Our Condo was waiting on us.  It was a step up from our tent camping site in Yosemite. We unloaded our Sienna and relaxed with an evening Devotional and Communion.  Little Rosie enjoyed the "kid's class" and singing.  We were not able to connect with a church service in any of the tiny towns we sailed through today, so we had our own.  "Where two or three are gathered together in my name..."

Again, my Codger Card covered the $25 entrance fee.  Driving inside the park is restricted so the free Tram was the way to go!  The Tram stopped at several places long the Park road.  The hop on/hop off stops provided many opportunities to explore the various places within the Park. Hiking trails went off in many directions to allow hikers to explore the Park.

The massive sandstone mountains were awesome to see. We were only there for a couple of days; not near enough time to fully explore the 229 square miles of the Park. The North fork of the Virgin River ran through the park offering many places to stop and cool your feet. The lazy calmness of the clear water could turn into a raging river flooding over into the valley during times of heavy spring runoff or flash flood conditions.

We enjoyed the River Walk, a mile long trail that followed the Virgin River upstream towards The Narrows and beyond. Along the trail we spotted a couple of Buck Deer and a few wild flowers.

My hike to a small waterfall near Emerald Pools was fun.  I left Debby and Rosie there while I continued hiking the trail. I passed by various wild flowers, Cactus and scenic views, making my way to The Grotto where a foot bridge crossed the river and the trail passed through a park-like landscape.

Weeping Rocks was another hike we enjoyed.  Near its end, mountain ruwater dripped and fell from, and within, overhanging cliffs as we walked beneath them.

On our last day, we drove through the mile-long tunnel that connects the Park. The tunnel was built around 1936 and still very usable today.  My Macular was enough that I let Debby drive the tunnel. Although I live in the dark, I don't need to be driving in it if I don't have to!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment