Thursday, May 5, 2022

New Braunfels

New Braunfels

 

  Our stay in the New Braunfels WorldMark was pleasant. The condos were different than others we have stayed in. Our two-bedroom unit had a loft suite. The high ceiling was covered in what appeared  to be knotty pine. 

   This 1800’s era German settlement still has some of the old country flare. It is a beautiful area and had easy access to San Antonio if you know how to use the freeway. 

   I met up with a fellow Vietnam veteran here in town. “D-ring” was actually my immediate supervisor in Vietnam. He got stuck with the nickname “D-ring” when, asa new guy on flying status, made the mistake of grabbing his parachute by the D-ring, which is attached to the ripcord. Apparently he was running late on his way to get on the plane. The parachute opened inside the storage room and silk went everywhere!  Even after 53 years he still hasn’t lived it down. 😂

   He and I met for lunch at a German restaurant called the Alpine. We both ordered the same things because German food is the best!  He and I were stationed in Germany before going to Vietnam. Our Jaeger schnitzels were awesome!  It was grew talking over old times and hearing Bill “D-ring” DeCamp drop names of fellow airmen that I had almost forgotten. 

   I was hoping to see Randy Geiger, probably my best friend in  Vietnam. Unfortunately, Randy was out of town this week. This is the second time we have been in San Antonio and missed each other. Not sure I will get another chance. 

   D-ring dropped me off at the condo. He was hoping to see my wife and friends but everyone was out. He left and Toronto and I headed to the pool for a while. We had it alL to ourselves just like we did the first day!  I love traveling during off-season!  

No comments:

Post a Comment