Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A FIRST FOR ME

A FIRST FOR ME.                 


   A few days ago, Ron, Nancy, Debby and I went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast. As we milled around in the gift shop waiting on our name to be called for seating, a younger man walked by and said hello. I was wearing my Vietnam Veteran’s cap, as I often do. The young man looked at my cap and said, "Thank you for your service." I thanked him for his acknowledgment and he went on his way.

   Several names were called as we patiently waited for ours to be called, as the restaurant was very busy this morning. Soon it was our turn and we made our way to our table.  

   The waiter cane over, brought our coffee and drinks. We ordered our meals and thoroughly enjoyed Cravker Barrel’s southern cooking.

   When it was time to go we asked our waiter for the check. He told us that our meals have already been paid for. Not really sure we heard him correctly, we said, "What?" He told us that someone in the next room paid for our meals. We finally got it out of him who it was, although he was reluctant.  

   Ron and I went over to the man’s table. He told me he wanted to buy our breakfast because he appreciated my service. He said he never served but he appreciated those who did. I thanked him and said it wasn’t necessary but that I appreciated it.  

   We talked for a bit and I told him that no one has ever done that for me for this reason. I said I have done that for other soldiers but this was a first for me. He seemed to like that. We took a photo together before we parted. His name was Steve Cook.

   I really appreciated this random act of kindness, not because I needed the meal, but because of his desire to give something back. Although this young man did not serve IN the military, he is still serving. It is a great thing he is doing.

   Because I wear the Veterans cap many people acknowledge my service and thank me for serving. Many old veterans strike up a conversation to ask where I was based. Most of them usually say, "Welcome home." They say that because many returning veterans never felt like they were welcomed.

   Most of the veterans I’ve met have all been grateful to be a vet and are respectful to others. However, recently in North Carolina, one big old burly vet cane up to me and asked where I was stationed in ‘Nam. I told him, "Phu Cat". He said, "Wasn’t that an air base?" I said it was. He said, "What outfit?" I said, "Air Force". "That was almost military", he replied with the straight face of a seasoned, indoctrinated jarhead. 

2 comments:

  1. Mike, I'll never forget that you did that for our son, Chris, and his wife, at an IHOPS in Portland, after his return from Iraq. Thank you, Mike, for your service, and thank you and Debby for your kind service to Chris that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear this story. Bless you two!

    ReplyDelete