Sunday, February 19, 2023

WRer Taxu

Water Taxi and Beyond

 

   We listened to Wyndham’s sales pitch and a couple of hours later we were able to get free tickets for the Water Taxi.          The main canal is part of the Inter-coastal Waterway that spans nearly 3000 miles. It begins up in the Northeast corner of the United States and ends up in Texas, I believe.  In Fort Lauderdale there are tributaries off the main canal , much like side streets off a city Main Street.  Along this canal one can find homes that are anywhere from expensive to VERY expensive, with expensive Yachts parked out front. They run in all sizes and costs, up to many millions of dollars and hundreds of feet long.

   The water taxi service allows you to gelt on and ride as much as you want.  There are about 18 stops that can take you to great shopping, restaurants, the beach and unique residential areas where there are no cars, only yachts.

   We ate lunch at a waterside seafood restaurant.  It was very good.  We spent the day traveling from one end to the other land back again.  We caught an UBER from our Wyndham Worldmark to the  north end of the canal.  We returned that evening to the same place to catch our ride back.

   Toronto was with us all day enjoying the sights and sounds of the boats on the canal.  As we disembarked and called for an UBER to take us home, an interesting thing happened.  I got in the front seat with Toronto on the floor between my feet, as we usually rode all other times.  When the driver got back into the car, he saw Toronto and went ballistic!  He did not want a dog in his car.  He didn’t like dogs and created a scene.  He didn’t care that Toronto was a Service Dog or not.  He told me that he didn’t like dogs because they stink.  I told him Toronto was probably cleaner than him.  The driver told me I also stunk and told us to get out.  I suggested that perhaps the smell was him and not us.   Anyway, we called another UBER and reported this driver on the UBER website.  

   UBER’s policy and Federal Laws permit Toronto to be anywhere people can go.  Regular people can object to Service Dogs inside their cars, but lUBER drivers are not regular people.  They are classified as public vehicles.  I could have insisted, and even called the PoPo but I didn’t want to ride with this psycho now anyway.

   Since then, UBER has reached out to me and apologized for this driver’s behavior and assured me this behavior was not their policy.  They would be deciding what to do about having this driver on their team or not.  They made sure we would not be charged for the fare and even gave me fifteen dollars credit towards my next UBER ride. 

   My son, Matt, flew to Fort Lauderdale to pick up Toronto and take him to Oklahoma as I would not be able to take him on the second half of the cruise.  Caicos and Grand Turks have stringent rules on importing animals to their island.  The nine pages of paperwork I needed to fill out was so strict that I  was not able to comply.  Matt suggested he take Toronto home with him while we did the Cruise.  I appreciated that offer and was happy to take him up on it. 

   Matt left with Toronto on Saturday and our cruise ship set sail on Sunday.  It worked out just right.  

   The Wyndham sales pitch we had, (trying to sell us more shares to use the resort more often), was interesting.  They really tried to get us to bite, even telling us that the last offer to buy in 2020l was something we should have taken advantage of because now that offer is much more costly.  The manager of the sales department did make us the same offer and said it would not ever be offered to us at that price again.  We let it pass … again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment