Friday, November 2, 2012

NORTH CAROLINA

We left Stafford, Virginia, Wednesday afternoon, heading towards my brother's home about 3 hours away. As we reflected on our trip we were amazed that we have been blessed with great weather everywhere we've been. But the strange part is how the weather turned sour after we left each place! (I hope we weren't the CAUSE of it)! In particular, Atlantic City, NJ! That area was heavily hit by the "Super Storm", Hurricane Sandy. In fact, our Wyndham Hotel that we stayed in, is STILL closed, as are many other places along the coast.

Today we are in a small town in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. We spent the night in the Holiday Inn and just finished breakfast. The night before last was spent with my brother, Cliff, in Singers Glen, Virginia. They live in an 1880's era two story farm house. My Nieces and Nephews are a lot of fun to be around. They brought out their guitars and drawings, showing off their talent. We had a lot of fun! Wish we could have stayed around a while longer. Thank you, Melissa, for the amazing chicken chili!

Today we are driving about 120 miles of the 469 mile long Blueridge Parkway. It's supposed to be an awesome scenic drive in the colorful Smokey Mountains. We will also visit the Cowpens Monument where the famous Battle of the Cowpens took place during the Revolutionary War. My G-G-G-Grandfather, Aaron Thomas was in that war. He was a Militia Minuteman and, afterwards, was among those guarding the British Prisoners as General Cornwallace chased them towards the coast trying to get them back! The Battle of the Cowpens was a turning point in the war in our favor. So I'm very anxious to go there.

I haven't been able to contact my good friend from the military days. I wanted to go see him in Seneca, SC this evening. I haven't seen Joe since 1969. We shall see what the day brings. We hope to be in Atlanta this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment