Saturday, October 27, 2012

VIRGINIA

Stafford, Virginia

Currently we are hiding out in a little place called Stafford, Virginia in the home of one of Debby's cousins. John and Lisa are great to be with. Their oldest son had unexpected eye surgery and Deb and I were free enough to adjust our non-schedule to come help them out.

Stafford is a small, Deer infested bedroom community south of Washington DC. Chocked full with curvy roads, wild drivers, and meaningless stop signs, a Kansas boy could get motion sickness faster'n a teenager can text! If I don't use my GPS, I could be lost in a heartbeat! If I do use my GPS, it takes me all over Stafford creation and makes me THINK I'm lost! I had purchased a couple of Deer Whistles to mount on my little van to alert deer that I'm coming down the road, so they won't target my grille! So this afternoon I put those things on my grille. Now we'll see what happens! Hopefully, NOTHING will happen!

John and I went to Oliver's baseball game last night. It was a great evening. We hear tell there's a storm coming from the southeast. Last night the sky was glowing red and was a very beautiful sunset. It didn't look like any storm was coming to me! In fact, we were reminded of the saying: "Red sky in the morning, sailor takes warning. Red sky at night, Sailor's delight! So we delighted in the nice cool evening breeze and dry weather.

There were a lot of Cub Scouts camping out around the ball field at the City Park for their annual Camporee. Amongst them was a Civil War reenactor, portraying Confederate Brigadier General Maxcy Gregg who was killed at the battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862. The reenactor was reliving history in the first person, to the Scouts, doing his part in keeping the spirit of history alive. Reenactments are a lot of fun and I'm certain the Scouts will enjoy the history lesson.

We went to two more of Oliver's baseball games this morning and then came home. Deb and I readjusted our storage containers in the Sienna and made things much more useful and neat.

We will be here helping out the family until next week sometime. Other factors depends upon "Frankenstorm", or Hurricane Sandy, that is projected to be the mother of all storms. It is predicted to hit the New Jersey shore head on by Monday. Virginia will also get some of it but probably, mostly, only rain. Some increased winds are expected, as well. I suggested to John and Lisa before they left us for a neighborhood party, that I could start boarding up the windows while they were gone. Lisa suggested that in the spirit of Christianity I should first start on their neighbor's house! Hmmmmm....???

No comments:

Post a Comment