Sunday, April 21, 2013

STOW, OHIO

STOW, OHIO
April 19, 2013

Our next stop is Stow, OH. This small community of about 35,000 souls was named after Joshua Stow, a Surveyor who purchased this land from the Seneca Indians and established this township, though, personally, he never lived here. In 1796 he said this area was "one of the prettiest and most romantic spots in the Western Reserve." I agree, even though it WAS cold and snowed on us!

Apparently, nothing ever happened here, until a few years ago one of my favorite cousins moved here from Culver City, California, got herself a man, and threw out the anchor. Thus, the reason for our visit to Stow, OH.

I had not seen Rhonda for nearly 30 years; only then for a short time one afternoon in Shawnee, Oklahoma. She is the daughter of my Mom's brother, my Uncle, and the sister of Lonny (and Judy), whom we spent time with a few weeks ago prior to our New Zealand trip.

Rhonda was about 7 when I visited her family prior to my being deployed to The Philippines in 1966. I always loved that family. My Uncle, her father, passed away a few years ago, also her Mom. But life goes on. Now I find myself being the second oldest in our family. There are some older cousins out there from my Dad's side of the family, however.

Our visit was great. We were able to spend the night in their home and got to know her husband, Malcolm. He is a Mechanical Engineer and works for NASA, so he and Debby hit it off as she is totally interested in space exploration and NASA stuff, being a teacher and all.

Two of their gorgeous daughters live in the Carolinas, but get to visit home on occasion. We got to meet their youngest Daughter, Sarah. Thank you, Sarah, for coming over to meet us! You could easily become my next favorite second cousin!












2 comments:

  1. Miss you guys already!! Oh and the sun is out now!! (don't know for how long though....:)

    ReplyDelete