Saturday, September 5, 2015

FT LAUDERDALE, FL

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
July 6, 2015

We ended our time in Singers Glen.  It was great visiting with my brother's family but it was time to head for North Carolina. We spent the night at the Days Inn Motel in Raleigh, NC.  We had a great room there.  We parked our car in their lot and will be able to leave it here at no cost for the 4 days we will be traveling in Florida.  Their shuttle took us to the airport this morning and will pick us up after we return.  All of this for the price of a motel room!  Great value!

Now, here I need to give Delta Airlines some kudos...NOT good kudos, however!  (Debby said she thought kudos were always good, but I'm
changing the norm to ab-norm because it's my blog).  It seems as if our non-stop flight with extra leg room from RALEIGH to FT LAUDERDALE was cancelled by Delta before we even got to the airport.  They gave us a different flight with no leg room with a 90 minute stop over in Atlanta, GA that ended up being closer to two hours.  

We came out of be airport to hire the next Taxi.  A man grabbed my bags as I was about to put
them into the trunk.  He put them in for me and looked at me for a tip.  Reminded me of the bums downtown who run up to your car at a traffic light, spray water on your windshield and smear the dirt around, then expect payment for their unsolicited efforts.  Hey!  Get a real job!  

We asked the driver how much it would cost for this fare and gave him our Wyndham address.  He said $40 or $45.  We said okay and off we went. All the way, this driver felt the need to
play rap music on the radio for the entire time.  We were about to go crazy!  

So $52 later we arrived 26 blocks north of our desired address.  This isn't the right address; he made a wrong turn!   Back into the taxi we headed towards our condo.  I noticed the meter kept ticking along.  I leaned up and said, "Are you actually charging us for your mistake?"  He mumbled something and switched off the meter a few blocks from the Wyndham.  The meter read
$56.50 as he pulled up to the door.  I handed him $60, told him to keep the change.  He looked at me.  I looked back.  I would have given him more but he was already $11.50 higher than his highest quote, so I mentally added that to the $3.50 I gave him.  I think I was very generous. Besides, there should have been a penalty for the rap music!

We checked into our Wyndham Santa Barbara Condo about 4 hours later than Delta had tonight.  It was a very relaxing date being on the water and seeing some of the most beautiful and expensive real estate we've ever seen.
originally scheduled for us.  We signed up for a dinner cruise for 

I've been surprised at the number of people in Florida who work for tips.  Are there no real jobs here?






No comments:

Post a Comment