Monday, September 28, 2015

WINTER SIEGE

The end of summer also marks the ending of our travel adventures for this year.  Debby has gotten settled in her First Grade classroom for her final year of teaching. Her new (and final) group of students may never realize the impact their teacher has made in the lives of hundreds, though perhaps in years to come, they may look back and come to know the impact she made in their lives. It is a bitter sweet year for her as she nears the end of this phase of her life.  

As for me, my retirement years have taken me on paths I had not imagined I would travel. The one thing I enjoy most is not only seeing the little things of life, but simply, seeing.  It's one of those things we take for granted and never really miss until it's gone. Curse Macular Degeneration. But until it comes in its full glory, there is much to see and do.  I pray that "glory" may never come.  In the meantime, I shall be wintering at home, enjoying a warm fire, long walks in the Oregon Gorge and seeing God at work in nature.  

My latest camping/fishing/hiking adventure with TrailCodger II at Olallie Lake was a great adventure.  I returned home with a cold that is currently running its course.  I had been exposed to a Cold virus the Sunday we left.  By Wednesday it blossomed.  It caused a drastic change in my plans.  I missed a church retreat and my first week of teaching Field Studies at Outdoor School. Sad times.  However, I will survive and be prepared to teach my second week.

I am excited as the winter season approaches. In the Columbia River Gorge the streams will increase in volume with the winter rains.  
  
 

Freezing mist will cloak our water features and waterfalls in white like a bride. Our many waterfalls will again roar with beauty with the spring thaw.  Such is the beauty of where we hike. 

I am convinced there will be more travel adventures for Mike and Debby, as The Lord wills.  There is always much to see.  We want to see while we can still see.

No comments:

Post a Comment